Leadership And Organizational Performance Case Studies
Health Care (Public Sector)
Large Federal Health Agency
How do we build the leadership skills of our science leaders?
- Assessed the current state of the agency’s full suite of leadership development capabilities.
- Defined a strategic vision for agency-wide global leadership development.
- Built out a comprehensive leadership development framework
- Literature review
- Benchmarking and environmental scanning
- Competency modeling
- Multi-modal approach to leadership and talent development
- Evaluation protocols
- Implementation planning
- Agency now has a framework whereby future leaders can be assessed, developed and promoted into new areas of responsibility against a defined set of critical leadership behaviors.
- New competencies were immediately demonstrated when agency leadership was required to communicate with the national media during a health related crisis.
Large Canadian Automotive Insurance Agency
How do we determine the next generation of senior leaders and institute within our company a discipline around succession planning?
- Interviewed all senior leaders to clarify the scope of each role and identify potential candidates as future replacements.
- Developed success profiles for all leadership roles and completed a 9-box process for assessing candidate pools for each senior role (e.g. performance vs. potential)
- Trained the Board of Directors on the succession planning process
- Prepared for and facilitated one formal meeting at which replacement candidates were selected and communicated for all key roles.
- Executed a communication strategy to inform and engage the broader company.
- Replacement candidates were selected for each of thirteen critical leadership roles.
- Framework is now and actively used to develop succession plans and fill critical roles of the business.